Gainful Employment Information
Do you enjoy a challenge? Do you want a career that places you on the front lines of protecting your community? Do you want to receive your training at a nationally recognized training facility? If so, the Public Safety Training Center at Onondaga Community College has the right program for you.
The Pre-Employment Basic Course for Police Officers will prepare you to succeed in a rewarding career as a police officer. Students will learn the tactics, theory and skills required of today’s law enforcement professional. Examples of topics include basic law, arrest techniques, public safety procedures, investigation techniques, community relations, etc.
Successful completion of the Phase I Basic Course for Police Officers fulfills the requirement of the New York State Division of Criminal Justice Services that all police officers complete the Basic Course for Police Officers within one year of their employment. Once employed by a police agency, you will receive the remaining training to fully qualify you for this career.
All instructors in the program are certified by New York State as police instructors. Graduates of the program will receive a Law Enforcement certificate. In addition, successful candidates will be certified by the New York State Division of Criminal Justice Services for a period of two years as having satisfied the requirements for Phase 1 training.
The Public Safety Training Center at Onondaga Community College is a nationally recognized leader among educational providers in first responder education and training.
In addition to Onondaga Community College’s general admission requirements, ENG and ILS placements must be at college level.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate efficient and effective oral, written, and mobile data communication skills.
- Apply safety principles and practices to both emergency and non-emergency situations.
- Recall selected standards on which Police service practices are based.
- Demonstrate critical skills necessary to demonstrate a comprehensive understanding of the field.
- Recall facts and concepts necessary to demonstrate a comprehensive understanding of the field.