College Catalog 2020-2021 [ARCHIVED CATALOG]
Physical Education & Exercise Science Studies (A.S.)
The Associate in Science (A.S.) degree in Physical Education & Exercise Science Studies is suitable for students whose goals include teaching, coaching, sports management, and careers in the broad fitness and wellness fields.
This program prepares students for transfer into a bachelor’s degree program in physical education, exercise science, sports management, or other fitness/health-related curricula.
The curriculum emphasizes professionalism, wellness lifestyle, health awareness and leadership by providing background knowledge and skills that form the foundation of these fields. Required courses include health, human anatomy and physiology, exercise science, psychology, and required liberal arts courses.
Graduates are prepared to:
- Explore the variety of fields relating to physical education and exercise science studies
- Write and develop lesson plans
- Demonstrate and develop leadership skills
- Conduct fitness assessments
- Develop appropriate exercise programs
- Demonstrate a basic knowledge of sport history, rules and strategies
- Provide instruction of athletic skills
Program Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate competency in skills and knowledge within the physical education core courses.
- Articulate career choices in the fields of physical education, exercise science, and related disciplines.
- Communicate introductory professional knowledge of the basic concepts and trends as well as current issues within the physical education field.
- Conduct basic fitness and wellness assessments for diverse populations.