Dec 01, 2023
Onondaga Community College’s Music Department offers a two-year Sound Recording Program designed for students interested in music technology, sound recording, and music business. Completion of the two-year music sound recording curriculum will provide you with an A.S. degree that includes a well-rounded liberal arts education, and provides a solid foundation for transfer to a four-year degree program. Students in the Sound Recording program will have the opportunity to work with professional recording studios in the city of Syracuse.
Admission into the Sound Recording program requires interviews with sound recording and music faculty, as well as placement exams in music theory, music reading, performance, and piano. Students lacking foundational studies in music will take introductory courses that will prepare them for this program of study.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate proficiency in recording techniques, studio etiquette, and industry standard practices.
- Create professional musical recordings using industry standard hardware and software.
- Understand various styles of music and the unique attributes of recording those styles.
- Analyze musical recordings to be able to create an appropriate “mix” based on musical styles and needs of the client.
- Demonstrate proficiency in the fundamentals of music theory, aural skills, keyboard skills, and performance skills.
- MUS 240 Music Technology Credits: (2) –or–
- MUS 106 Survey of Western Music History II Credits: (3) 2
- SUNY Gen Ed Elective Credits: (6-7)2
Choose 2 of the following 4 categories:
1. Social Science (Recommended courses: PSY 103 , SOC 103 , ANT 152 , ECO 204 )
2. Natural Science (Recommended courses: PHY 103 , GEO 151 , SCI 100 )3
3. Foreign Language (Recommended courses: ASL 101 , FRE 101 , ITA 101 , GER 101 , SPA 101 )
4. American History (Recommended courses: HIS 105 , HIS 106 , HIS 107 , HIS 125 )
- MUS 166 Introduction to Ethnic Music Credits: (3) –or–
- SUNY Gen Ed Other World Civilizations Elective Credits: (3)2
(Recommended courses: HIS 101 , HIS 102 , ANT 175 )
- MUS 231 Pro Tools Production II Credits: (2)
- BMC 226 Sound Reinforcement and Recording II Credits: (2)
- Music Ensemble Credits: (0.5)
Total Program Credits: 61-64
- Some transfer schools require MAT 161 Calculus I . Please see a music advisor to determine the appropriate course selection for your intended transfer institution.
- Course selection varies depending on students intended transfer institution. Please see a music advisor to determine the appropriate course selection.
- Some transfer schools require PHY 103 General Physics I . Please see a music advisor to determine the appropriate course selection for your intended transfer institution.